If a master mask is used, then the cost of the replacement mask or duplicate would be the same as making a new mask. However, if the dimensions are large enough (>2μm) and the specifications for resolution, registration, and defectivity are less critical, then a copy of the mask can be made using a contact print process. This is less costly than making a new master mask.
- Primarily for contact aligner use
- For volume applications (multiple copies)
- For less critical requirements (feature size, defectivity & registration)
- A submaster is created from which to make the copies
- The submaster is created as a mirror image of the desired orientation of the final copy plate(s)